Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Modesty. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
- Letting your achievements speak for themselves and recognising the work of others
- Seeing yourself as part of a group
Modesty is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Temperance, including Self-Control and Forgiveness. These strengths are about tackling temptation and managing emotions and behaviour.
What does a focus on Modesty look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of kindness, care and generosity?
SOME SUGGESTED MODESTY ACTIVITIES
- Create a family tree. Who could your young people talk to to find out about the different people in their family? How big is their family tree?
- Spend some time in nature.
- Do a chalk drawing on the footpath at home that might support someone else.
- For older kids - think about something you use every day. Do some research on how this was created, on who had a part in farming, growing, crafting, delivering, selling and buying the thing that you have such easy access to.
- Reflect on a time when you acted humbly with someone you know and put their needs ahead of your own. What did you do and how did it feel when you looked after them like this?
- For adults; think about a time when you have felt really humbled and part of something bigger? Can you journal about this, or describe it to someone?
TRY THESE THREE THINGS