Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Creativity. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
- Coming up with new and helpful ideas and ways of doing things.
Creativity is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Wisdom, including Curiosity, Perpsective, Open-Mindedness and Love of Learning. These strengths are cognitive, and are gaining and using knowledge to benefit yourself and others.
What does a focus on Creativity look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of creativity, originality and inventiveness?
SOME SUGGESTED CREATIVITY ACTIVITIES
- Could you complete a normal activity in a completely new way?
- Ask young people to make up a story for their teddy bears.
- Think of a different use for a normal household item, like a salad bowl or soup ladle?
- Start a creative ‘school uniform’ theme for home schooling time.
- Suggest older kids change a space around to help them engage more effectively in their learning.
- Recognise and celebrate the ways you are already being creative or adaptable.
- Consider a hobby that allows you to be original and creative, like baking or drawing.
TRY THESE THREE THINGS
Dr Scott Barry Kaufman on Everyday Creativity
Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World Forward, Adam Grant
TED Talk Playlist
TED Talks about Creativity