Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Appreciation of Beauty & Excellence. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
APPRECIATION OF BEAUTY & EXCELLENCE
- Awe, wonder, elevation.
- Experiencing a sense of wonder when you see beauty and excellence in the world.
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Transcendence, including Spirituality and Gratitude.
These strengths are about connecting with the larger universe. What does a focus on Appreciation of Beauty & Excellence look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of awe and wonder?
SOME SUGGESTED APPRECIATION OF BEAUTY & EXCELLENCE ACTIVITIES
- Recognise awe and wonder in young people – how can you help to prioritise these activities?
- Complete a scavenger hunt in nature. Older kids could get involved in creating it for younger ones.
- With teenagers, ask them to identify where they feel awe and wonder. Focus especially on the things they can do to bring this to life, rather than passively observing excellence in others.
- Create a photo board of images which spark wonder for you.
- Put together a ‘pump it’ playlist of songs that get you dancing every time you hear them.
- Get in nature! Go for a walk, check out a view, explore somewhere new. Spend time journaling, sketching, or just being still and observing.
- Be intentional about finding and using your awe – create opportunities by setting a reminder in your phone to stop and notice the world around you.
TRY THESE THREE THINGS