Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Zest. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
- Vitality, enthusiasm, vigour, energy
- Participating in a wide range of activities with enthusiasm and energy
Zest is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Courage, including Honesty and Bravery. These strengths are about acting when things are hard.
What does a focus on Zest look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of enthusiasm and vitality?
SOME SUGGESTED ZEST ACTIVITIES
- With younger children, organise a dance party or energetic game, or go for a run or a bike ride.
- Make up a dance routine and film it for your grandparents!
- Construct an obstacle course in the backyard and have time trials!
- Do something that really energises you, like painting or playing music or talking to a friend.
- Revisit an activity that used to get you in ‘the zone’.
- Plan a hypothetical adventure. Where could you go? What would excite you about this?
- Practice good sleep habits, and make sure you are well rested.
TRY THESE THREE THINGS
Eat Move Sleep, Tom Rath
The Brain Changing Magic of Exercise
Kid's Activity Book
150+ Screen Free Activities for Kids, Asia Citro