Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Open-mindedness. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
- Judgment, critical thinking.
- Carefully considering and being open to different points of view.
Open-mindedness is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Wisdom, such as Curiosity and Perspective. These strengths are gaining and using knowledge to better yourself and the world.
What does a focus on Open-mindedness look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of judgement and critical thinking?
SOME SUGGESTED OPEN-MINDEDNESS ACTIVITIES
- For younger kids, think about something new you could try; a food, a game, a book.
- Play a game of bingo with friends, where all the things are about commonalities (such as ‘has two brothers’, or ‘brown eyes’).
- Remember a holiday they’ve had to another place and describe what was unique and interesting about it.
- Draw a picture or a comic about the fun things they remember about being somewhere new.
- Watch a movie in another language, or about a different culture.
- Learn something new – use your strength of open-mindedness to give it a go.
TRY THESE THREE THINGS