Thanks for joining us for another spotlight on one of your 24 character strengths. We hope to provide a focus for you as you go through your day, and hope to support a specific strength ‘lens’ in your conversations and activities.
Being aware of, spotting and intentionally using character strengths supports wellbeing in individuals, and helps to build and deepen relationships.
Today’s spotlight is on Honesty. Below is a summary of key resources and ideas from the podcast.
- Integrity, authenticity
- Telling the truth and taking responsibility for your feelings and actions
Honesty is a strength which is closely related to other strengths of Courage, including Bravery, Perseverance and Zest. These strengths are about doing the right thing, even when it’s hard.
What does a focus on Honesty look like in your world today? Can you ask the other members of your household to look out for and share examples of integrity and authenticity?
SOME SUGGESTED HONESTY ACTIVITIES
- Ask younger kids to think of a time when they were honest, and a time they were dishonest and what it felt like both times. Could they draw or write a story about these moments?
- For an older child, can they remember a time when they acted with integrity or authenticity, even when that felt hard, or not particularly cool?
- Write a recipe for authenticity or integrity. What ingredients go into an ‘authenticity cake’? How much, and how do you combine them, and how long is it cooked for? Be creative!
- Have a conversation over the dinner table about people who act with authenticity or integrity. Make sure everyone is heard and can share their opinion – some families like to use a ‘talking stick’ for turn-taking.
- Can you make space for someone else’s honesty, and check in on someone who is not going that well?
- Can you be honest with yourself and name a challenge or a success you have experienced?
- Consider if there is there a place you have been using another strength at the detriment of your honesty. How is this serving your wellbeing?
TRY THESE THREE THINGS
The Magic of Truth and Lies (one to watch with the kids)
Catch Me If You Can (2002) or Mean Girls (2004)
Unlocking Us, Brene Brown